Proof of Address
New Proof of Address changes went into effect on August 19, 2015. Two proof of physical Colorado address documents are required for following applicants:
- First time and new applicants
- Individuals with a Colorado driver license, instruction permit, or identification card that has been expired over one year
- Individuals changing the address on their card
- Individuals reinstating their driving pivilege and require testing
Those individuals who are renewing their valid – or expired less than one year – Colorado driver license, instruction permit, or identification card that displays their current physical address can present only that document to meet the updated requirements.
Documents presented to the DMV must include the applicant’s name, full residential address and be dated whthin one year. Electronic documents or documents that only display a PO box number are not acceptable.
All documents presented must be dated within one year of application
- Computer Generated Bill (utility, credit card, doctor, hospital, etc.)
- Bank Statement
- Pre-Printed Pay Stub
- First-Class Mail (government agency or court)
- Current Homeowner’s, Renter’s, or Motor Vehicle
- Insurance Policy
- Mortgage, Lease, or Rental Contract
- Transcript or Report Card from an Accredited School
- Motor Vehicle Registration
- USPS Change Of Address Form (CNL107) W-2, SSA-1099, Non-SSA-1099
Note: In order to meet the requirements for proof of address we suggest bringing more documentation than is necessary for every visit to a DMV office. Junk mail or bulk mailing (coupons, weekly mailers, advertising) and any hand-written documents are not acceptable as proof of address documentation.
For a minor child, a parent can provide the address with their license, as long it is correct.
You must provide enough documentation to prove identity, age, name, and lawful presence. See the Identification Requirements Chart for documents you can use. Each document must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Certified originals
- Certified amended originals
- True copies certified by the issuing agency