Wray, CO 80758
TEMPORARY-LANDFILL/RECYCLING AND MACHINE OPERATOR
Reports To: Landfill Supervisor
Experience and Training:
Minimum Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent
Certificates or Licenses: Valid Colorado driver’s license
Special Professional and/or Job-Related Requirements: None
- Process recyclable materials, including maintain organization and cleanliness of recycling building and surrounding area.
- Operate equipment as defined by supervisor, including utilization, general maintenance, service and minor repairs.
- Perform maintenance, service, and light repairs on all equipment at the landfill.
- Knowledge of and strict adherence to all safety procedures.
- Assist with all aspects landfill operations including, but not limited to: Drainage design, weighing of trash, customer relations, site measurements, surveys, sorting and picking up blown trash, shop cleanup, office cleanup, yard cleanup, painting, mowing and watering grass, and other duties as assigned.
- Operate as a temporary landfill employee for a set period of April 1 through September 30 with hours set at the discretion of the Landfill Supervisor, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
- Greet landfill customers and collect fees as necessary.
- Weigh and record loads arriving and leaving the landfill.
- Perform inspection of selected loads and advise customers on location and policy.
- Direct loads to specific locations and assure loads are deposited in the proper area.
- Process deposited refuse and cover it in an approved manner.
- Answer telephone, respond to customer inquiries, and direct calls as necessary.
- Monitor wind conditions and may be expected to make weather closure decisions.
- Must be able to conduct activities involving moderate walking and/or standing.
- Must be able to conduct activities involving stooping, kneeling/bending, crouching, crawling, climbing, twisting, and/or reaching on a frequent basis. Must be able to perform physical labor continuously for two hours.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push, or pull objects more than 75 pounds.
- Must have ability to grasp and manipulate equipment, mechanic tools, and other tools and materials.
- Must be able to operate heavy equipment to include but not limited to loader, scraper, compactor, forklift, and baler.
- Must have ability to distinguish small objects at near and far distances in conditions of bright or low light.
- Must have ability to distinguish depth and see objects in a wide field of vision.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen test.
- Due to classification as a Safety-Sensitive position, employee will be in a random drug testing pool.
- This position’s duties are performed in protected and non-protected environments. Employee may experience daily exposure to elements such as extreme heat, cold, humidity or dampness. The employee may, on a daily basis, be frequently exposed to various hazards including loud noise, mechanical, explosive, and electrical hazards, fumes, odors, dust, chemicals, and poor ventilation. Adherence to safety protocols at all times is required.
- Employee may be required to work during weekends.
These guidelines may change as needs of the community change and as State and Federal mandates change.
This position is a temporary position for a period of April 1 through September 30, with potential to apply for subsequent part-time employment depending on need. Hours will be determined at the discretion of the Landfill Supervisor for purposes of project completion and will not exceed 40 hours per week. This is a non-benefited position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Yuma County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, disability, or any other non-merit factor.